Recipe type: Stock
- 1-2kg clean, raw, chopped fish bones
- 2-3 litres fresh water
- roughly chopped vegetables as per Dr Simeons' list (eg: onions, fennel, tomatoes, celery)
- 1-3 dried chilies left whole
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced or sliced
- fresh herbs of choice - not too much to be overpowering (eg: coriander, thyme, parsley)
- Sauté all ingredients in a large pot apart from the fresh herbs which is added later. When the vegetables are cooked and softer, add the water and bring to the boil, then add the herbs. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes skimming off the surface foam frequently. Strain the stock and discard the remainder. Store frozen in containers about one cup volume. Unfrozen stock will keep in the fridge for a couple of days - don’t stretch it.